Disbursement vs Issued (Displayed)
Credits can/may be disbursed to multiple invoices, depending on whether there are any invoices with a balance remaining that will satisfy the amount of the credit.
Credits will only ever display on one invoice. They will display on an invoice with a status of "Open" or they will display on the next invoice created on the account. You cannot manually change which invoice a payment or credit will be displayed. However, if you void an invoice that has a credit displayed, you can trigger the system to display the credit on another invoice. Once you void the invoice, the InvoiceID related to the credit will be reset to blank. You can then click on the payment and select save and it will be reassigned to a currently open invoice or it will be queued up to display on the next created invoice.
ISSUING A CREDIT TO DISPLAY ON THE NEXT CREATED INVOICE
BEFORE ENTERING A CREDIT, MAKE SURE ALL INVOICES ARE "CLOSED"
This is very important. If there is an open invoice, the credit will display on the "open" invoice.
To determine whether you have any "open" invoices, go to the Invoices tab (usually on the Enterprise account) and check the Status column of all invoices. The Status for all invoices should be "Closed".
ADDING A CREDIT TRANSACTION
Click on the Transactions tab
Locate the Credits section and click on the Add button
Complete the following information:
- Enter the Amount of the credit
- Select the Service from the drop-down menu to apply the credit to
- Orion will calculate the taxes to be credited
- There may be duplicate services, you can pick any one
- If the service is a Fax, Hosted or Trunking service, you will need to also select the associated Dial Tone service
- For a general customer credit, select "Adjustments and Credits" (This selection will not credit taxes)
- Select the Date you would like the credit to be reflected in reports
- In the Detail text box, enter a brief description of the credit (this description will appear on the customer's invoice)
- The Automatic Disbursement option is not selected by default. Checking it will result in the credit being disbursed to the oldest invoice with any carry over amounts being applied to the next sequential invoice.
- Optionally, from the list of Open Balance Invoices, you can select a specific invoice(s) to disburse the credit. Check the box next to the invoice you would like to disburse the credit to.
- Leave the TaxExempt option unchecked. Tax credits will be calculated based on the tax status of each service.
- Click the Save button to apply the credit to the account, or Save/New to apply and add another credit
CREDITING AN INVOICE NOT YET SET TO THE CUSTOMER
A credit can be added to the current monthly invoice as long as it has not yet been sent to the customer.
To determine whether the invoice has been sent to the customer, go to the Invoices tab and look for the current monthly invoice. Check the Sent Date column. If there is no date, it has not been sent to the customer and a credit can be added.
BEFORE creating the credit, the invoice must first be “opened”. (Make sure the current invoice is the only "open" invoice)
AFTER the credit has been created, the invoice must be “closed”.
BE VERY CAUTIOUS. With the invoice Open, all credit(s) you have created for this customer will display on the open invoice.
If you are at all unsure about this process, call or email billing support BEFORE you begin..
REVERSING CREDIT TRANSACTIONS
- Click on the Transactions tab
- Locate the Credits section
- Select the check box next to the credit to be reversed
- Click the Reverse button at the bottom of the list
- When the Transactions page reloads the credit Detail should include (Reversed Credit Transaction #X)
WHERE TO VIEW CREDITS
Credits can be viewed in the following two locations:
1. Transactions tab, Credits section
2. Invoice tab, related invoice number. When a credit is created, two entries will be generated, and can be seen on your list of invoices in the "Credits Disbursed" column and the "Credits Issued (displayed)" column.
- The amount in the "Credits Disbursed" column reduces the invoice Balance. (Note: You cannot disburse a credit to an invoice with a zero balance)
- The amount in the "Credits Issued" column reduces the invoice Total and will display on that invoice.